Australia’s energy discounts: Everything you need to know

Energy costs have been climbing for customers in recent years and it’s becoming a struggle for many households. But did you know you could be getting help with it?

Plenty of customers can get help with their electricity and gas bills through government rebate and concession programs. These programs vary by state, but you may qualify if you have a concession or seniors card, need energy-intensive medical equipment, or are a low-income household receiving family tax benefits.

Even if you don't qualify for a rebate or concession, you can still save money with energy discounts. While the days of huge 40% discounts are gone, even smaller discounts of around 10% can make a difference, as long as you meet the conditions.

How do energy discounts and rebates work?

Energy rebates are financial support from the government to help with your electricity or gas bills. They can come as a flat payment or a percentage off your bills.

These rebates are offered by both the federal and state governments, so you might be eligible for more than one rebate.

There are two main ways rebates are applied:

  • Every Australian household gets a rebate.
  • Those who are more vulnerable receive a discount on their bills.

Eligibility for rebates is often based on factors like having a valid pension or concession card. The types of rebates available and who qualifies can vary between states.

Energy discounts can be a great way to save money, but it's crucial to understand the conditions attached to them. Failing to meet these conditions can result in losing the discount and possibly incurring late payment fees, typically around $20.

Some deals with high discounts may have higher usage and supply rates, meaning you might not actually save as much as you think.

If you're someone who occasionally struggles to pay bills on time, it might be wise to choose plans with lower rates or guaranteed discounts instead of pay-on-time discounts.

What’s the difference between a conditional and an unconditional discount?

When energy retailers advertise a discount, it's important to know if it's "conditional" or "unconditional."

Conditional discounts

This type of discount requires you to meet certain conditions, like paying on time. Conditional discounts are rewards for being a reliable and efficient energy customer, making things smoother for the retailer. These discounts can come in various forms:

  • Paying bills on time: Get a small discount for paying your bill by the due date. However, if you miss the deadline, you'll lose the discount and might face a late payment fee.
  • Choosing direct debit payments: Set up automatic payments from your bank account on the due date to enjoy a direct debit discount, saving you money effortlessly.
  • Communicating by email: Opting to receive bills and other communications via email instead of by mail can earn you an extra discount.
  • Signing up online: Some providers offer discounts if you sign up for their services online, as this reduces their need for phone sales staff.

Unconditional discounts

Unconditional discounts don't have any conditions but are used for marketing. It's like a retailer saying, "Hey, look at this discount!" even though there aren't any special conditions to meet. It's just a way to make its energy offer look more appealing.

Types of energy discounts

Discounts generally come in two types: usage charge discounts and whole-bill discounts. Usage charges reflect the amount of electricity you've used, while supply charges are fixed fees for being connected to the grid, usually between $1 and $2 per day.

While most discounts apply to usage charges only, some apply to the entire bill. However, a higher discount on usage charges may result in more significant savings than a lower discount on the entire bill.

Alongside government rebates, energy providers also offer various discounts to help reduce your bills. These include:

  • Sign-up discounts: Often credited on your first bill or spread over a few months.
  • Guaranteed discounts: Typically lasting for a year, reducing usage and supply charges.
  • Conditional discounts: Given for meeting specific conditions like paying on time.
  • Bundling offers: Discounts for having multiple services with the same provider.
  • Refer a friend: Benefits for referring someone, such as bill discounts or rewards points.

It's important to note that while discounts are attractive, choosing a plan solely for its discount can lead to higher bills if other charges are high.

Energy discounts by state: New South Wales

In New South Wales, there are various electricity rebates available to assist eligible customers with their gas and electricity bills. These rebates cater to families, pensioners, and other qualifying individuals.

NSW Family Energy Rebate

The NSW Family Energy Rebate is designed to assist families with dependent children in New South Wales with their energy bills. This rebate provides eligible households with up to $180 per year.

To qualify for the NSW Family Energy Rebate, you must:

  • Be a resident of New South Wales.
  • Be the account holder with an energy retailer (for retail customers) or an on-supplied customer named on an energy retailer bill (for on-supply customers).
  • Have received the Family Tax Benefit (FTB) in the previous year, with your entitlement to the payments finalised by Centrelink.
  • Have the recipient of the FTB apply for the Family Energy Rebate.

Before applying for the rebate, ensure you have lodged your tax return with the Australian Taxation Office for the last financial year or notified DHS if you didn’t need to lodge your return. Then wait for the confirmation letter stating your FTB has been finalised for the previous year.

To apply, you will need your DHS or Services Australia Customer Reference Number, a DVA if applicable, your personal details, and a copy of your most recent energy bill.

NSW Gas Rebate

The NSW Gas Rebate offers assistance to households with natural gas, providing up to $110 per year towards gas bills.

To qualify, you must be a resident of New South Wales and the account holder with a gas retailer, holding one of the following:

  • Pensioner Concession Card from the DVA or Services Australia
  • Health Care Card from Services Australia
  • DVA Gold Card marked with specific categories

To apply, contact us to talk about your options, request the NSW Gas Rebate, and provide your concession or Health Care Card details. Once approved, the rebate is applied daily from the application date, with confirmation provided by your retailer.

Note: Currently, there is no specific rebate for electricity in NSW, just gas, unless you require the NSW Family Energy Rebate or the NSW Senior Energy Rebate or NSW Pension Supplement.

NSW Low Income Household Rebate

This one is a quarterly assistance payment for energy bills, offering up to $285 per year.

To be eligible, you must reside in NSW, hold an account with an energy retailer, and possess one of the following:

  • Pensioner Concession Card from the DVA or Services Australia
  • Health Care Card from Services Australia
  • DVA Gold Card marked with specific categories

To apply, contact us to talk about your options and request the rebate. Provide your concession or Health Card details and ask for confirmation once the rebate is applied. The rebate starts calculating daily from your application date.

NSW Senior Energy Rebate

The Senior Energy Rebate in NSW is designed for independent retirees holding a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card (CSHC) from Services Australia or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs. This rebate provides up to $200 per year to help with household electricity bills.

To apply, you'll need to provide:

  • Your valid CSHC
  • Your most recent electricity bill
  • Your contact and bank details

You can apply online or by calling 13 77 88. Once approved, you should receive your payment within five working days in your nominated bank or credit union account.

NSW Energy Rebate for Pensioners

This rebate includes the Pension Supplement, which assists pensioners receiving Centrelink support by combining payments for Pharmaceutical Allowance, Utilities Allowance, GST Supplement, and Telephone Allowance.

Eligible Centrelink recipients receive this supplement every two weeks without needing to apply, as Services Australia automatically sends it.

If you do not qualify for the full Pension Supplement, you might still be eligible for the Utilities Allowance to help with your utility bills. This allowance is also administered by Services Australia and is added to your payments automatically if you are eligible.

EAPA Scheme

The Energy Accounts Payment Assistance (EAPA) Scheme in NSW provides vouchers to households struggling to pay their energy bills, serving as a Centrelink crisis payment.

To qualify for an EAPA voucher, you must first explore all financial assistance options with your energy supplier. If unable to arrange a payment plan, contact us for further assistance.

For more details on this and other hidden Centrelink payments, refer to our comprehensive guide.

NSW Life Support Energy Rebate

This government payment is available to residents who use approved, energy-intensive life support equipment or live with someone who does.

To qualify, you must be a NSW resident, the energy account holder, and have your medical practitioner verify the use of life support equipment.

To apply, download and complete the Life Support Rebate form, have your medical practitioner fill out their section, and send the completed application to your energy provider.

If multiple people in your household require life support equipment, you must submit a separate application for each person.

NSW Medical Energy Rebate

The NSW Medical Energy Rebate offers eligible concession cardholders assistance with body-temperature regulation during extreme heat or cold, providing $71 per quarter or up to $285 annually off energy bills.

To qualify, you must be a NSW resident, the energy bill account holder, unable to self-regulate body temperature, and meet specific medical criteria. You must hold a Pensioner Concession Card or Health Care Card.

To apply, complete the application form with your medical practitioner and submit it to your energy retailer.

Energy discounts by state: Australian Capital Territory

There are three energy concessions available to residents in the ACT.

The ACT Utilities Concession

Residents can access an annual rebate of up to $700 for electricity, natural gas, and sewage bills. Eligible residents living in caravan parks and retirement villages with embedded electricity networks must hold either a:

  • Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card
  • Centrelink Low Income Health Care Card
  • Veterans Affairs Pensioner Concession Card or Gold Card (Prisoner of War, War Widow, or Totally Permanently Incapacitated).

ActewAGL Retail, Origin, and EnergyAustralia are registered providers under this scheme. To apply, residents should contact us.

The Life Support Energy Rebate

Residents may be provided up to $128 annually to help with energy bills for those using electronic life support equipment.

This equipment must be prescribed by an ACT medical practitioner for the treatment of a life-threatening condition. Approved devices include (but are not limited to):

  • Dialysis machines
  • Oxygen concentrators
  • Respirators
  • CPAP regulators

Residents can apply for this rebate through ActewAGL Retail, Origin, or EnergyAustralia. If you live in a caravan park or retirement community with an embedded electricity network, contact us to discuss your options.

ACT Medical Heating and Cooling Rebate

This is available to residents who struggle to regulate their body temperature without assistance.

To qualify, residents must hold either a:

  • Concession
  • Low Income Health Care
  • DVA Pensioner or Gold Card
  • Residents must also have a medically-diagnosed inability to self-regulate body temperature.

Residents must also have at least one qualifying medical condition such as:

  • Multiple Sclerosis
  • Fibromyalgia
  • Lymphoedema,
  • Residents must also have at least one secondary medical condition that affects body temperature regulation.

Residents can apply by filling out an application form with their medical practitioner's signature and sending it to ActewAGL Retail Life Support.

Energy discounts by state: Queensland

Energy customers in Queensland have access to various energy rebates, Centrelink crisis payments, and concessions.

Queensland Life Support Energy Rebate

Available to residents who use medically necessary oxygen concentrators or kidney dialysis machines provided by MASS or Queensland Health.

This rebate offers up to $694.18 per year for each oxygen concentrator or $464.88 per year for each kidney dialysis machine. To be eligible, you must receive your equipment through Queensland Health or MASS free of charge and hold a relevant concession card.

If you meet the criteria, you can apply by filling out the Electricity Life Support Concession application form. If you haven't received the form, contact us for assistance.

Queensland Electricity and Gas Rebates

These rebates are designed to offer financial assistance to Pensioners and seniors in Queensland. It provides up to $340.85 per year for electricity and $73.60 per year for gas.

To qualify, you must hold either a:

  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card (and receive the War Widow/er Pension or special rate TPI Pension)
  • Queensland Seniors Card
  • Commonwealth Health Care Card (Electricity Rebate only)
  • Asylum seeker status—residents will need to provide their ImmiCard details (Electricity Rebate only)

You must also meet specific living arrangements criteria, including:

  • Be living with their partner
  • Reside with individuals possessing a Pensioner Concession Card or Queensland Seniors Card
  • Live with individuals fully reliant on them
  • Live with individuals receiving income support and not paying rent
  • Reside with individuals living with them to provide care and assistance, without paying rent

To apply, contact us or the entity responsible for your energy billing.

QLD Medical Heating and Cooling Rebate

This Queensland rebate offers up to $340.85 annually for individuals with conditions like multiple sclerosis, where maintaining a specific temperature is crucial for health.

To qualify, Queenslanders must:

  • Have a medical condition necessitating heating or cooling
  • Reside in a home with air conditioning or heating
  • Hold a current Pensioner Concession Card or Health Care Card
  • Be responsible for paying the electricity bill

Multiple individuals in a shared home can apply, but each must submit a separate application. Those already receiving an electricity rebate can still apply and renewals are required every two years.

QLD Home Energy Emergency Assistance Scheme

This rebate provides one-time financial help to residents on Centrelink facing sudden financial difficulties with paying their electricity bills. This assistance can amount to $720 and can be claimed once every two years.

To be eligible, you must:

  • Hold a current concession card
  • Have an income equal to or less than the Australian Government's maximum income rate for part-age pensioners
  • Be part of your energy retailer's hardship program or payment plan

To apply, contact us to talk about your options. Detailed eligibility requirements are available through your energy retailer or a financial counsellor.

Energy discounts by state: South Australia

The government of South Australia provides various concessions and rebates to assist residents with their energy bill including the following:

The Solar Home Battery Assistance program

Some residents need financial support to install home battery systems. Through this scheme, eligible residents can access rebates, subsidies, and loans of up to $3000.

This funding is specifically for the installation of home battery systems. Additionally, residents can apply for financing through the Australian Government's Clean Energy Finance Corporation for the purchase of new solar panels or additional battery systems.

These initiatives aim to lower energy costs, improve grid stability, provide coverage during grid outages, and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

SA Energy Bill Concessions

Energy Bill Concessions provide one-time emergency payments for South Australian residents with low or fixed incomes, offering up to $226.67 per year to help cover gas or electricity bills.

To be eligible, South Australian energy customers must:

  • Reside at the property
  • Be listed as an account holder on their energy bill
  • Possess an eligible concession card, or receive an eligible Centrelink payment
  • Not share a household with anyone earning more than $3,000 per year, unless they receive an allowance from Centrelink or the Department of Veterans' Affairs, or are their spouse, domestic partner, or dependent
  • Asylum seekers may qualify for an energy concession if they meet specific requirements.

Home and Business Energy Incentives

This energy rebate is part of the Retailer Energy Productivity Scheme (REPS) program, which specifically targets low-income households, providing them with incentives to save energy.

Under the REPS, electricity and gas retailers must meet energy productivity targets set by the Minister. To achieve these targets, retailers offer energy-saving activities to households and businesses.

These activities include the installation of:

  • Efficient lighting products
  • Low-flow showerheads
  • Standby power controllers
  • Ceiling insulation
  • High-efficiency appliances
  • Efficient water heaters

Medical Heating and Cooling Concession

This is a payment from Centrelink available to South Australian residents with a medically verified condition that requires heating or cooling to manage symptoms or prevent a severe worsening of their condition.

Eligible recipients can receive up to $226.67 per year. To qualify, you must:

  • Reside at the address listed on the application form
  • Have a child with a qualifying medical condition that requires heating or cooling to prevent a severe worsening of their condition (if you are the parent or legal guardian)
  • Provide certification from a medical specialist or general practitioner stating that the medical condition is significantly worsened by hot or cold weather
  • Use an air conditioning unit at your address to meet the medical heating and cooling needs
  • Be responsible for paying all or part of the energy bill
  • Hold an eligible concession card or receive an eligible Centrelink payment

Cost of Living Concession

This support program offers financial assistance to low or fixed-income individuals through Centrelink. This support is aimed at helping with the various costs associated with daily living.

Eligible recipients can receive an amount ranging from $105.40 to $210.70, depending on their living arrangements.

To qualify for this support, you must reside at the property and either hold an eligible card, receive a qualifying Centrelink payment, or meet the low-income criteria.

Energy Concession Discount Offer with Origin Energy

Customers receiving the Energy Concession can benefit from the SA Concession Energy Discount Offer (SACEDO) in partnership with Origin Energy, covering both gas and electricity.

In addition to a fixed discount on gas and electricity bills, customers enjoy flexible payment options and are not subject to late payment, processing, credit card, or exit fees.

Electricity customers receive a continuous discount of 20% off their electricity bill, while gas customers receive a continuous discount of 11% off their gas bill.

Energy discounts by state: Victoria

Victorian residents can access energy rebates and concessions available to them for both gas and electricity:

Annual Electricity Concession

Victoria offers an Annual Energy Concession to eligible electricity account holders, providing a year-round discount for residents holding one of the following cards:

  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Health Care Card
  • Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card

The concession provides a discount of 17.5% off the annual electricity bill, calculated after deducting the first $171.60 and after accounting for retailer discounts and solar credits.

Excess Electricity Concession

Residents eligible for concession cards with annual electricity bills exceeding $2,890.45 should apply for the Excess Electricity Concession instead of the Annual Electricity Concession.

This concession also provides a 17.5% discount on the annual electricity bill but requires a declaration confirming that the energy usage is solely residential with no commercial purposes.

Life Support Energy Rebate

Victoria offers the Life Support Energy Rebate to residents who use or live with someone using eligible life-saving equipment, provided they hold a qualifying concession card.

Eligible equipment consumes at least 1,880kWh per year of electricity or 168 kilolitres of water.

The rebate is based on the cost of 1,889kWh or 168 kilolitres of water, using the standard domestic tariff of your energy retailer. You can obtain an application for the Life Support Rebate by contacting your electricity retailer, water corporation, the hospital providing your life-saving equipment, or by calling 1800 658 521.

Applications must be endorsed by your doctor, nurse, or hospital social worker and submitted to your energy retailer or water corporation.

Medical Cooling Concession

Victoria offers the Medical Cooling Concession, a Centrelink payment for residents with a medical condition that affects their body's ability to regulate temperature, provided they hold a qualifying concession card.

Eligible recipients receive a rebate of 17.5% of their electricity usage between November 1 and April 30. Application forms are available by contacting your energy provider or calling 1800 658 521. Your medical condition must be certified by your doctor, nurse, or hospital social worker.

Approved medical conditions include:

  • Multiple Sclerosis
  • Lymphoedema
  • Parkinson’s disease
  • Fibromyalgia
  • Post-polio Syndrome/Poliomyelitis
  • Motor Neurone Disease

If your condition is pre-approved, simply submit the completed application to your energy retailer. If your condition is not on the list, it must be approved by the Department of Health and Human Services before applying.

Winter Gas Concession

The Winter Gas Concession is available to eligible concession cardholders who use gas heating during the winter months.

This concession offers a discount of 17.5% off your gas usage and service bill after the first $62.50 of the six-month winter period (1 May to 31 October each year), once all retailer discounts are applied.

To qualify, you must hold one of the following cards:

  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Health Care Card
  • Veterans' Affairs Gold Card

You can apply for the Winter Gas Concession by contacting us.

Excess Gas Discount

Concession cardholders with gas bills exceeding $1,587.82 during the winter period from 1 May to 31 October should apply for the Excess Gas Concession instead of the Winter Gas Concession.

This concession also provides a 17.5% discount on the winter gas bill but requires a declaration confirming that the energy usage is residential only with no commercial purposes.

Energy discounts by state: Tasmania

Annual Electricity Concession

The Annual Electricity Concession in Tasmania is a benefit offered to residents holding qualifying concession cards.

Through this program, customers of any electricity provider in Tasmania receive a daily discount of 140.740c off their electricity bill.

To apply for the Annual Electricity Concession, please reach out to your energy provider.

Heating Allowance

The Winter Heating Allowance is a little-known benefit available to Pensioners holding an eligible DHS or DVA Pensioner Concession Card and living in Tasmania.

This support is provided in two payments of $28, given in May and September, totalling $56 annually.

To qualify, single pensioners must not have more than $1750 in cash assets, while married or de-facto couples must not exceed $2,750 in cash assets.

Life Support Concession

This rebate is for individuals requiring medically necessary life support equipment or living with someone who uses such equipment.

The specific concession amount varies based on the type of life support equipment in use. The payments for Life Support Concessions can range from 37.015c per day up to 196.577c per day.

Medical Heating or Cooling Concession

This rebate is a lesser-known benefit offered to individuals with a medical condition necessitating heating or cooling, or those living with someone who requires such conditions, in Tasmania.

This concession provides a daily payment of 42.155c to assist with the costs of maintaining appropriate temperatures.

Energy discounts by state: Western Australia

In Western Australia, various energy concessions, rebates, and schemes are available to individuals holding concession, pension, or health cards.

Energy Assistance Payment

Residents holding means-tested Commonwealth concession cards may qualify for the Energy Assistance Payment (EAP) of $300 per year, available through Synergy or Horizon Power.

Eligible cards include:

  • Centrelink Health Care Card
  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Department of Veterans' Affairs Gold Pensioner Card

To apply for the Energy Support Payment, reach out to us to check your options.

Energy Concession Extension Scheme

The Energy Concession Extension Scheme in Western Australia is available to concession cardholders who do not receive their energy from Synergy or Horizon Power.

This scheme provides additional benefits beyond the Energy Assistance Payment and may include the dependent child rebate and air conditioning rebate for eligible residents.

Eligible cards include:

  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Health Care Card
  • Veterans’ Affairs Gold card (TPI, War Widow, and Dependent Child)
  • Commonwealth Seniors Health Card

You can apply for the scheme online. The payments under the Energy Concession Extension Scheme include:

  • $305 annually for the Energy Assistance Payment
  • $320 for the Dependent Child Rebate, plus $84 annually for each additional child
  • $59.75 per month for the Air Conditioning Rebate

Hardship Utility Grant Scheme (HUGS) in Western Australia

The Hardship Utilities Grant Scheme (HUGS) in Western Australia provides assistance to residents facing financial hardship, ensuring they can stay connected to essential services.

To apply for HUGS, follow these steps:

  • Contact us to talk about your options immediately if you're struggling financially. They will assess your situation and set up a payment plan for 180 days.
  • If you avoid disconnection or a disconnection notice for 180 days, ask your energy provider to start a HUGS application on your behalf.
  • Your energy provider will submit your HUGS application, and you'll be referred to a HUGS Service Center for assessment and support. They will determine if you're eligible for a HUGS grant.
  • If your application is approved, your energy provider will receive the grant amount. If it's denied, you'll be notified.
  • The HUGS grant amount varies depending on your location, but it can be up to $580 or $960 annually. However, the total grant cannot exceed 85% of your total debt.
  • If your utilities are already disconnected, you may still be eligible for HUGS. To qualify, you'll need to pay the minimum reconnection amount (usually 50% of the debt) and enter into a payment plan for the remaining balance.

Child Dependent Electricity Rebate

If you are a cardholder with Synergy or Horizon Power and have dependent children, you may qualify for the Dependent Child electricity rebate.

Eligible cards include:

  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Health Care Card
  • Veterans' Affairs Gold Card

Permanent residents of caravan parks holding an appropriate concession card can also apply for this rebate, which is provided as an electronic funds transfer.

The rebate amount is calculated daily based on the total number of dependent children. To apply, contact us to talk about your options.

Cost of Living Rebate

The Cost of Living Rebate aims to assist WA Senior Cardholders with their living expenses, including energy bills.

To qualify, residents with WA Senior Cards must submit their applications before 31 May each year. Once approved, there's no need to reapply.

To obtain an application, contact us to talk about your options.

Thermoregulatory Dysfunction Energy Subsidy Scheme

Residents of Western Australia who need heating or cooling equipment to manage their body temperature due to a diagnosed medical condition may qualify for the Thermoregulatory Dysfunction Energy Subsidy Scheme.

To be eligible, applicants must hold a Pensioner Concession Card or Health Care Card and have their condition certified by a treating physician who has been providing care for at least three months.

Applications can be accessed online and must be completed by the applicant and endorsed by their physician.

Life Support Equipment Electricity Subsidy Scheme

Residents of Western Australia who require medically necessary life support equipment, as prescribed by a medical practitioner, may be eligible for the Life Support Equipment Electricity Support Program (LSEESP).

To qualify, you must hold one of the following:

  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Health Care Card
  • Health Care Interim Voucher

Additionally, the following criteria must be met:

  • The life support equipment must be prescribed by an appropriate specialist medical practitioner or a medical practitioner working in a specialist department of a hospital
  • The life support equipment must operate at the applicant's address

Applications can be accessed online and must be completed in full, including authorization from your doctor or medical practitioner.

Annual subsidies for life support equipment vary depending on the type of equipment needed. They can range from $51 per year for a medically necessary nebulizer to $1,315 per year for a child's oxygen concentrator.

A comprehensive list of approved medically necessary life support equipment is available on the WA Department of Financial Services grants and subsidies webpage.

Electricity Rebate for Air Conditioning

Residents of Western Australia holding a concession card, residing in areas north of the 26th Parallel and/or north of the 50 Day Relative Strain Index line, may qualify for the Air Conditioning electricity rebate offered by Synergy or Horizon Power.

To be eligible, customers must hold either:

  • Both a WA Seniors Card and either a Pensioner Concession Card or a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card, or
  • Have dependent children and a Pensioner Concession Card, Health Care Card, or a Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold card.

Eligible customers can apply by contacting us; we'll talk you through your options.

Energy discounts by state: Northern Territories

NT Concessions Scheme

The Northern Territory Concessions Scheme aims to provide financial relief to residents of the Northern Territory to help cover the cost of living. To qualify, applicants must be NT residents and possess one of the following:

  • A Centrelink account indicating eligibility for the Age Pension, Disability Support Pension, Carer Payment, or Parenting Payment (single), or
  • A Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) card such as the Repatriation Health Card TPI/War/Widower (Gold Card), Repatriation Pharmaceuticals Benefits Card (Orange Card), Pensioner Card (Blue Card), or Commonwealth Seniors Health Card.

This rebate offers support for utilities and general living expenses, including electricity bills. To qualify for electricity rebates and concessions in the Northern Territory, you must be the primary account holder with your energy retailer.

NT Seniors Recognition Scheme

This is a benefit available to Australian residents aged 65 or older who reside in the Northern Territory for at least 183 days per year.

Eligible individuals can receive up to $500 annually to help with living expenses, as well as travel and accommodation costs. Initially issued as travel vouchers, the benefit is now provided as a prepaid card that can be used for travel, airfare, accommodation, fuel (at service stations), and water and electricity.

Energy Concession Northern Territories

Eligible participants in either the NT Concessions Scheme or the NT Seniors Recognition Scheme may qualify for energy concessions.

These concessions apply to various types of electricity generation, including:

  • Customers of Jacana Energy and Power and Water
  • Users of prepaid electricity metres
  • Solar electricity consumers
  • Residents of caravan parks

Consumers of alternative energy sources (off-grid, such as diesel fuel, unleaded fuel, LP Gas, Kerosene, and Deep Cycle Batteries for solar systems)

The amount of the concession varies based on the type of electricity used. Participants may receive a concession of $1.274 per day and $0.091 per kWh used, or up to $1,200 worth of prepaid electricity metre tokens.

Users of off-grid electricity can receive $1.275 per day for their concession.

Need to switch plans?

Are you looking at switching plans for the best possible energy discount? Have a chat with our Compare Energy team and let us talk you through it.